2018 PAATA Annual Conference
Please join us for the first annual Pennsylvania Art Therapy Association Conference,
Expanding art therapy across healthcare and social sectors necessitates adapting the traditional foci of the profession for contemporary practice. Rediscovering art therapy history, particularly overlooked early art therapists of color, reveals diverse theoretical and practical applications. These models can be adjusted through the behavioral health framework to offer art therapy across the healthcare continuum. Further increasing client access to art therapy and reducing health inequities requires a social justice perspective.
As a result of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Describe the contributions of at least 3 pioneering art therapists of color
- Synthesize art therapy practices across the behavioral health continuum of care
- Identify art therapists’ role in promoting social justice and civic dialogue
Other presenters include Abbien Crowley Ciucci, MA, ATR-BC, ATCS, LPC, Carol Carrino, MS, ATR-BC, LPC, LM, HLM-DVATA, Deborah Telatovich, MA, Natalie Carlton, Ph.D., ATR-BC, LPCC, Kathy D. Hrenko, MCAT, ATR-BC, CDP, Abigail Schwartz, ATR, LPC, Traci Bitondo, LPC, ATR-BC, NCC, & Irene Kovacs-Donaghy, Ph.D., LPC, ATR-BC.
8:00am-9:00am: Registration (Coffee and Bagels)
9:00am-9:30am: Introduction & Awards
9:30am-11:00am: Keynote Address
11:15am-12:30pm: Breakout Session 1.
- Holograms and Hovercrafts: Invention Drawing as Assessment with Pediatric Medical Patients- Abbien Crowley Ciucci, MA, ATR-BC, ATCS, LPC
- Art Therapy Training in Philadelphia – from lectures through the NIH grant- Carol Carrino, MS, ATR -BC, LPC, LM, HLM -DVATA
- Trailing Spouse Syndrome: Reflective Art Making through the Jungian Lens of the Shadow- Deborah Telatovich, MA
- Understanding Whiteness: The Toxicity of White Privilege in Art Therapy- Christine Byma, MA, ATR-BC
12:30pm-1:30pm: Lunch (Provided)
1:30pm-3:00pm: Breakout Session 2.
- Digital Media Inclusion in Art Therapy Coursework- Natalie Carlton, PhD, ATR-BC, LPCC
- The Seasons of Life: Art Therapy with Seniors Experiencing Dementia and Memory Loss- Kathy D. Hrenko, MCAT, ATR-BC, CDP
- Art Therapy Civic Dialogues in Politically Charged Times- Jordan S. Potash, PhD, ATR-BC, REAT, LCPAT (MD), LCAT (NY)
3:15pm-4:45pm: Breakout Session 3.
- Geek World: Video Games, Comics, and In-roads for Rapport Building and Treatment with Kids and Teens- Abigail Schwartz, ATR, LPC & Christina Marrero, ATR, LPC
- The Power of Art Therapy with Individuals with Vision Loss- Traci Bitondo, LPC, ATR-BC, NCC
- How do you use resilience in your practice?- Irene Kovacs-Donaghy, PhD, LPC, ATR-BC